St. Christopher's Cemetery
2660 Niagara Falls Blvd.
Tonawanda, NY 14150
About the Cemetery
(The following is from local historian Dr. Frederick S. Parkhurst's pamphlet, Cemeteries, Town of Tonawanda, New York, Publication No. 4, Tonawanda-Kenmore Historical Society, 1932.)
On the south side of St. Christopher's Church, on the old Niagara Falls Boulevard and immediately adjoining is an old burial ground, probably the oldest in the Town of Tonawanda. This plot is unenclosed and covered with vines and weeds, with here and there a scrubby tree. Not a headstone is left standing. Some are embedded in the accumulated turf of decades past. Here lie the remains brought thither from Niagara Falls, Lockport and Tonawanda. One broken and half-buried marker bears the inscription "Germaine Vincent, Born 1784." Forgotten graves. None are left to tell from whence they came or were they rich or poor.
Tradition says that one or more Indians lie buried here; for there were many straggling Iroquois families living around Tonawanda Creek when the Town of Tonawanda was organized. Some of them were converted to the Christian faith by itinerant missionaries, in what was then Niagara County, and may have gone to the happy hunting grounds from the town of Tonawanda. Many bodies have been removed.
Now that improved roads, the erection of St. Christopher's Shrine and the sub-division of land has taken place, it is conjectural as to what will be done with this old cemetery. Either it should be enclosed and appropriately marked - for the graves can only be discovered by search - or the remaining bodies should be removed to a distinct location. No burials have been made in recent years in this cemetery. One stone embedded deep in the turf reads - "Rosine Barbara Mischler, Jan. '75."